The glass shower enclosure is the star of any contemporary bathroom interior. It sets the aesthetics and renders an exceptional class to the bathroom.
Installing glass shower enclosures is a big deal in regards to time and money investment. However, the glass enclosure is worth every penny, so go for it!
If you are thinking about installing glass shower doors, many questions may pop up in your mind.
How should you choose the shower enclosure type? Which glass type is best for shower doors? What should be the glass thickness? And much more!
We are here to answer all your queries today. We’ll address the frequently asked questions about shower screens to make the task easy for you. Read through to find out the answers to your queries.
1. What type of shower glass doors should you install?
There are plenty of shower enclosure options available in the market which makes answering this question a bit hard. The ultimate choice of shower doors depends totally on the bathroom specifications, design preferences, and budget. However, here is the basic guide.
- If you have a very small bathroom space, go for a fixed shower screen. It will provide a minimalistic posh feel without taking up any extra space.
- If your bathroom has a designated shower area, install an inline single swing door.
- If you don’t have any specified space for a shower, use the bathroom corner. Install corner shower enclosure and turn the overlooked bathroom corner into a fully functional shower area.
- For large bathrooms where you have enough space for the uninterrupted operation of single swing shower doors, install glass panels and swing doors.
- Sliding shower doors are perfect for both small and large bathrooms.
2. Which type of glass is used in the glass shower enclosures?
The glass used in the shower enclosures should be strong enough to provide continuous function. So ordinary float glass is not used in glass enclosures.
Toughened or tempered glass is used in the panel and swing doors of the shower enclosures. Tempered glass is a strong variant of glass. It is durable and impact-resistant, therefore tempered glass is the preferred choice for fixed shower screens and shower enclosures.
3. What should be the thickness of the glass in shower doors?
Glass shower doors come in different thicknesses. The thickness of the shower doors is defined by their application and design specifications.
- In framed shower doors, the metal framing provides enough support to the glass panels so the thickness of the panel and swing door can be from ⅜ inches to ½ inches.
- The frameless shower doors don’t have any frame support, so the shower screens should at least be ½ inches thick for proper operation.
4. What is the cost of the glass shower enclosure?
The glass shower enclosures are considered a luxe bathroom fixture. The price range varies a lot for different sizes, specifications, and dimensions.
- The simple fixed shower screens cost somewhere around $100 to $300.
- Framed single swing shower doors and inline single swing doors come in the range of $200 to $500.
- The price range of frameless panel and swing doors is somewhere between $300 to $1000.
- The bespoke shower enclosure can cost around $300 to $3000 according to the design specifications.
5. Does water leak out of the frameless shower doors?
The frameless shower enclosure comes without metal framing so it seems like the frameless shower doors may be unable to hold the water inside the shower area.
Well, that’s not the case.
The frameless shower doors are designed just according to the measurements of the bathroom to avoid water leaks. Moreover, plastic door seals are used to prevent water from leaving the shower area.
6. How should you take the measurements?
Taking the right measurements is the key to getting the right shower door. Even a difference of a single inch can render the shower door misfit for your bathroom. So it’s important to take the right measurements.
Taking the shower measurements is just like taking any other measurement. Take the tape measure and measure from one end of the shower area to the other and note the figures. Take the measurements at least twice or thrice and double-check the accuracy. It’s always better to ask for professional help in taking the measurements.
7. Can you DIY install the glass enclosures?
Installing the glass shower doors yourself seems like a good deal in terms of saving money. However, handling the glass doors is not as easy as it sounds!
If you have some professional skills, you can install the framed shower doors of standard height with some assistance. However, it is truly hard for a layman to install the shower doors properly. Frameless shower enclosures on the other hand are quite heavy due to their thickness, so you would definitely require proper professional assistance to install the frameless shower doors.
The best choice is to let the professionals do the job.
Finally, are glass shower doors worth it?
Glass shower enclosures may seem like a huge investment up front but it turns out to be a great venture in the long run. The visual appeal, durability, and functional benefits together provide the ideal value for money. So yes! Glass shower doors are totally worth it!