New ideas are continuously evolving that bring about new trends based on the need to change the interior design. One of such trends is the application of the full-length mirror on the door. This idea is going to become a super favorite of interior designers in 2022 because of the widespread demand for tiny homes, studio apartments, and dorms.
So why should you be left behind? Let’s find out how this small thing can play magic for you.
Can you Put a Mirror on a Door?
The procedure to hang a mirror on the door is not the same as the one used to put it on the wall. This is because the hollow doors are not rigid enough to keep the screws tight for long. The trick that works best here is to give hanging support from the top of the door. However, doors made of solid wood can hold screws for long and traditional wall mounting techniques can work here. Hence, a mirror can easily be hung over the door in various ways. For this reason, we call it an ‘over-the-door mirror’.
What is an Over-the-Door Mirror?
A full length mirror hanging to the door front is known as a ‘door hanging mirror’. It can be used as a dressing mirror on the door of the living room or bedroom. Not just that, you can hang the back of the door mirror in the entryway or hallway to make a small living room spacious and functional. The reasons to design a door with a mirror are various but the main intention is to make a small space highly productive.
Why Using Over-the-Door Mirror?
1. A Smart Space Saver
The prime reason to use the door mirror full length is to save extra wall space or the floor that can be used productively for other purposes. A full length standing mirror can better be hung on the door and can save floor space. This is a great trick for students or people who live in small apartments or hostels.
2. Easy DIY Installation
There are several ways of DIY hanging a mirror on the door, and all are too simple and low on budget. Only a screwdriver can do the installation job for fixing the hanger on the mirror. All you need is to screw the mirror on the hook or hanger used to hang the mirror on the hollow door. Exactly, you are inferring it correctly! You can enjoy using the door mirror only within 5 minutes after unboxing the pack.
3. No Drilling Requirement
The best thing about the door hanging mirror is that it doesn’t damage the door at all. Thanks to ‘over the door mirror hanger’, which saves the hollow door from possible drilling destruction. Moreover, people who hate making holes in their luxury doors got a great idea to change the door look without compromising the beautiful door design. They can revert back to the original door simply by removing these door mirror hangers and can use them somewhere else at any time without any expert help.
4. Make Doors More Stylish
A mirror hanging on the door adds a focal point to the interior as it looks unique on its own. It gives a complete reflection from head to toe while you are standing at the front of the door and intending to open it. Also, you can adjust the height of the mirror according to your need.
5. Functional Piece of Home Decor
Above all, doors with full-body hanging mirrors are versatile and functional. Instead of hanging over the door, the mirror can permanently be fixed on the door that is made of solid wood. Not just that, you can hang an over-the-door full-length mirror with jewelry storage to place cosmetics, jewelry, and gemstones and make an ordinary door a super functional piece of home decor.
How do you Hang an Over the Door Mirror?
1. Buy the Right Mirror for Hanging on the Door
- Understand the door type and design
- Take appropriate measurements on the door
- Decide on the mirror shape you want to put on the door
- Buy the right Mirror
2. Position the Mirror on the Door
- Check the door design & mirror dimensions
- Measure the door center to mark vertical line so the mirror precisely be at the center
- Hold the mirror at a suitable place on the door and mark it on the top
3. Attach Over the Door Mirror Hooks Based on the Set Measurements
- Place the mirror hangers behind the mirror based on the door measurements
- Mark the hook holes with the marker
- Check for these marks to be precisely horizontal and at the correct place
- Put the mirror hook onto the dots and screw it into the mirror gently
- Hang the door mirror hook onto the hollow core door.
Important Tips Everyone Should Know While Hanging an Over the Door Mirror
- Choose the door that is not difficult to close
- There should be an appropriate gap between the door and the door frame
- Know the appropriate thickness of the door hanging mirror hooks to make easy closing
- The mirror should be light in weight.
- Use plastic mirror clips to screw them nicely
- The door mirror hooks should be strong and thick enough to bear the mirror weight
- Use special hardware that is recommended by the over-the-door mirror hooks manufacturer.
- Choose hooks color similar to the door color so they become invisible.
How do you Mount a Mirror on a Hollow Door?
- Buy E-Z Anchors for hollow doors
- Position the mirror on the door and mark it on the top
- Mark the location for mounting the hardware
- Screw the anchors nicely into the door for mounting hardware
- Put the hollow anchor’s clip to hang the mirror on the door
Which Mirror Shape is Ideal for Using as a Door Hang Mirror?
Three shapes of mirrors are ideal as door hanging mirrors: Full-Length Mirror, Oval Mirror, and Arched full-length Mirror. However, the selection should be entirely based on the door design and structure where the mirror is going to be hung in the middle.
Do Over the Door Hooks Damage the Door?
Not at all! Over the door mirror hooks are designed to keep it easy to use and avoid possible door destruction. They will never leave any mark on the door where these are used over the door. Instead of making holes inside the door, these hooks are fixed with the mirror and hung over the door without any additional hardware.
When the world changes, interior design changes too. At GlassGenius, you get the products that are designed based on the latest trends as glass fabricators keep on upgrading their product designs that are in high demand. So, never fall behind when others are designing their interior with smart ideas to turn their dull-looking interior into something more interesting and productive.